Welcome to the 40th issue of TMPDIR Weekly, a newsletter covering Embedded Linux, IoT systems, and technology in general. Please pass it on to anyone else you think might be interested and send any tips or feedback to our forum or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yoe upgrades to clang 15.0.0
The Yoe 2023.09 release will be built with brand new clang 15.0.0. There is a
lot of work that has gone into slowly fixing packages in layers eg.
poky and some of the BSP layers.
forks of gstreamer 1.20 and weston which also needed
Experiments with LVGL – Light and Versatile Graphics Library
We have been playing with LVGL lately for exploring possibilities of building native UI elements. Good progress has been made by Cliff as noted here Display is working nicely now and we have to get touchscreen and input subsystem working.
NOTE, this is a testing release where we are still in the middle of reworking the store and various clients. Upstream functionality does not work in this release. If you need upstream support, use a 0.4.x release.
The big news for this release is switching the store to SQLite and moving rule and db functionality out of the store and into clients.
- switch store to sqlite (#320)
- rebroadcast messages at each upstream node (#390)
- extensive work on client manager. It is now much easier to keep your local client config synchronized with ongoing point changes. Client manager also now supports client configurations with two levels of nodes, such as is used in rules where you have a rule node and child condition/action nodes.
- fix bug with fast changes in UI do not always stick (#414)
- move rules engine from store to siot client (#409)
- move influxdb code from store to client package (#410)
- replace all NatsRequest payloads with array of points (#406)
Updated Simple IoT Architecture Diagram
We continue to move more funtionality into clients. This simplifies the app and allows it to be more modular so that you can easily build custom versions that only include the clients you need for a particular application.
Introducing LiteFS -- a neat tool that replicates SQLite databases.
Did you know the new Roc programming language uses both Rust and Zig? Learn more here.
Quote for the week
Three rules of work: out of clutter find simplicity. From discord find harmony. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity - Albert Einstein
Thoughts, feedback? Let us know: email@example.com.
Thanks for reading!
Khem and Cliff